Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gen 3 - Chapter 2: Crushes, Stampedes, and Jealousy





While I was stargazing one day, attempting to find previously undiscovered stars - five of them, I hoped - I found one, a tiny white super giant. What to name it? Just then, Drazen passed by me, and I glanced over at him, then grinned slightly. "Drazen!"
"AH!" Guess I shouldn't call out to someone as clumsy as Drazen when they're at the top of stairs and about to head down them. I blushed lightly as he turned around and gave me a pretty darn frustrated look. "What is it, Dahlia?"
"I was just going to tell you that I named a star after you."
He grinned at that, like I knew he would. Who wouldn't want a star named after them? He'd have probably preferred if it was a significant other to do the naming, but his twin sister was probably good enough. "Awesome! Thanks, Dahlia. I'd stay up here and talk to you about it, but I'm exhausted.. goodnight!"
"Goodnight? It's noon." Honestly, Eulalie and I were the only ones on a decent schedule in this house. Even Mom Lyr was on a horrible schedule, which I had tried to talk her out of because of her age, but she stubbornly refused to listen. Well, I told myself, at least she goes to bed when tired and gets up when she's not, I guess.
I continued to search the galaxy for more stars for the rest of the day, because it was the weekend, and I have that interesting of a life. All the other girls my age were out on dates, or hanging out together at an arcade or something, or even the butterfly esplanade, but me? I searched for stars.
The next one I found was a small orange sub giant, and I named it Buster, after my grandfather that my mother didn't even get to meet. There was actually only one more I wanted to find that day, and I did find it, once night had fallen. It was a tiny white giant, and I decided to name it after my Aunt Naomi, whom I'd only ever met as a ghost.

 
Being an elder just doesn't seem to stop Mom Lyr. Every time I look, she's doing something that she really shouldn't be. It's as if she thinks she's still a young adult, even, rather than an adult. I almost feel like I have to be the adult of the house; when I found her fiddling around with the inventor's workbench we'd bought for Zach, I barely kept from screaming my, "Mom, what are you doing?!"
She glanced up for only a moment, then beamed at me. "Oh, I just thought it looked like fun, inventing. Plus, your brother has yet to touch it so I figured I would get some use out of it, ya'know?"
"Yeah, but Mom.. people have been killed using one of those!" I hoped it didn't sound like I was whining. I meant for it to sound like concern, but to my own ears it just sounded like I was whining at her. She didn't seem to notice, though.
"Honey, I'll be fine. We had a shower installed out here, if I get lit on fire I'll just hop in."
I sighed, and rubbed at one of my temples. "If you say so."



When I saw Zach and Drazen getting into the hot tub, I turned and headed towards the door to the house, looking over at them and slowing down as I passed them. "Hey, guys, Mom's using the inventor's workbench.. can you keep an eye on her?"
"Yeah, sure, sis. We'll make sure she doesn't hurt herself or anything," Zach said, and I kind of had a feeling he didn't quite mean it, judging by the fact that he didn't even lift his head or open his eyes. I pressed my lips into a tight line, but sighed and continued towards the door.
Then Mom was beside me, and I blinked at her. "Mom, I thought you were inventing?"
"Oh, I did invent something, honey, so I decided I would right on my book now." She beamed, and then headed inside and straight to the computer. I sighed deeply, and shrugged. Okay, sure. Whatever. While most of the rest of my family was up and raring to go, Eulalie and I went to bed so we'd actually be ready for school in the morning..




 
Ever since Mama Elvy died, Mom just hasn't been the same, especially when we leave for school. It's been worse since Lalie started going to school, too, because now she doesn't have a little toddler at home to keep her company. When I woke up the morning after the inventing incident, she was still writing on her book, and if I wasn't already a little late for school I would have told her to take a break and go to bed or something.
I don't know what she does while we're gone, but I knew that day she was in a writing frenzy so kept going until she finished her mystery book, 'It Happened at Dusk'. Since she was still awake when we got home, I'm pretty sure she didn't do the healthy thing and go to bed. If she did, it was probably only a nap.






I'd had the suspicion that Quin was gay since before he'd become a teenager. Or at least bi. The looks he'd give Raul whenever he came over was more than enough proof, and when I noticed him watching the romance channel instead of the horror channel (which had been blocked for most of his childhood, then he figured out how to unblock it for when Mom was in bed, the little brat) after school one day. I watched him as he just kind of stared at it absently for a moment, before standing up and walking into a corner of the room, pulling out his cell phone and dialing a number. Since I was thirsty anyway, I used that as an excuse to go to the kitchen, and walked past him just in time to hear him say, ".. meet me at Smuggler's Cove? I have this opportunity, and I just thought maybe.. great! I'll see you there."
I paused a moment behind him, and he pocketed his phone, an excited look on his face as he turned around, though he jumped when he saw me. I jumped, too, and stuttered a moment, "Oh, uh, hi Quin, I was just.."
"I'm meeting Raul at Smuggler's Cove!" he announced excitedly, and then turned and ran quickly out of the house.
"O.. kay." I blinked a moment, before smiling softly to myself, unable to keep the slight jealous from creeping up. I was happy for my brother, but at the same time, I kind of wished I had the guts to ask someone out somewhere. I'd probably stay single forever, whether it was because of my own lack of initiative or the fact that guys were just never interested in me.


To cheer myself up from my depressing thoughts, I got plasma, drank it, and then went to do my homework with Drazen, who had been doing his for a little while. Can you believe that I do my homework to cheer myself up? Okay, it wasn't the homework that cheered me up, it was the fact that Dray started whining at me when I passed where he was on his. "Oh come on, Dahlia, do you really have to show off?"
I glanced up at him from my homework, noticing that as I did, that Mom was up and set her dinner - ice cream? Really, Mom? - in front of me, obviously to try and bond with her oldest kids. It was really too bad we did our homework so quickly, we'd be done before she could barely get started eating her ice cream.
"I'm not showing off, I'm just not holding back. If you studied, you'd do better."
"Hey, at least both of you are far better than I ever was. I graduated with a B-." Mom piped up, before sitting down and starting into her ice cream.





My Mom is a stubborn brat, really. She knows that her inventing worries me, so she stopped doing it while we're at home. For a while, I thought that she'd stopped altogether, but when we got home from school and I could see from the car - I don't like taking the bus - her showering in her clothes, singed, I figured out that she must be inventing while we're off at school. I wouldn't talk to her about it, or scold her, because she's my Mom and can do what she wants, but it doesn't mean I had to like it.




My days are pretty uninteresting, they mostly consist of going to school, coming home, going to bed, rinse and repeat. There's usually fulfilling of needs in there, but those go under the 'uninteresting' category as well. I hadn't thought about Kraig in ages, because my crush on the other guy had grown. I now wanted to ask him his sign, but I hadn't been able to build up my courage to do so yet.
When I overheard Drazen inviting someone over, I didn't think that it might be him. I thought it would be Raul, or someone that Drazen was already close to. But when I passed by, heading to the kitchen, he stopped me by saying, "Guess who's coming over?" in a sing-song tone. I stopped dead in my tracks, not even having to think about it, because I know my brother. He would do this sort of thing. I turned and looked at him.
"You.. you didn't."
"Oh but I did, dearest sister. You beloved crush is coming over, though not for why you think. I'm friends with several of his friends, and thought 'hey, Dahlia likes him and I want to be his friend, may as well invite him over, right?' Heheh. He'll be here in a few minutes." he grinned at me, and I squeaked, hurrying into the kitchen where Mom was fixing herself a grilled cheese.
What was I going to do!? I stunk, and was too tired to even do my homework, let along talk to the guy I liked! I mumbled worriedly to myself as I pulled a plasma juice out of the fridge.
"Dahlia, are you okay? You seem perturbed."
"Perturbed, yeah, that's the word.." I whined, and looked over at Mom, my eyebrows furrowed. "Drazen's being a jerk, he invited over the guy I like when I'm a mess!" I then stormed into the dining room and plopped myself down at the table, sipping frustratedly at my plasma juice.
Mom came in and sat down beside me, then clapped her hands. "Just think, though, honey! He can see you at your worst, and if he still seems interested you know he's worth your time."
I stared at her a moment, blankly. Actually let him see me like this, when I already have no confidence? No thanks. I shook my head. "I don't even know if he knows I exist, I think I'll just.. hide upstairs while he's here, but thanks for the advice anyway.."






I decided to take a shower upstairs.. mainly so I could sneak past the windows in the living room as I headed to the stairs. Get a look at him. I snuck to the window, and crouched down in front of it, peering out over the edge. They were there, chatting. Drazen used an amusing greet, and they both cracked up. I couldn't hear what they were talking about, but I still couldn't peel myself away from his gorgeous white eyes.
Mom came up behind me, and peered out the window at him as well. "Is that the boy you like?" I nearly jumped out of my skin, and dropped down out of view in the window, turning and looking up at her.
"SHHHH! He might notice me!" I hissed, then blushed at having whisper-yelled at my Mom. That was one of those moments that I was very glad that she wasn't terribly strict.
"He looks familiar.. what's his name?" she asked, still staring out the window at him.
"Marcelo Knowles."
"OH! That's Marcelo? I'm best friends with his Mom, Faith! We had planned to have play dates between him and his twin, Genevieve, and the triplets, but it just never happened. He's the boy you like? Awww, I approve."
"Mom, it's not like he and I have ever even talked.."
"What!?" she exclaimed, and looked at me in shock, then put her hands on her hips. "Now, young lady, you better not let him slip away before you even establish that you like each other."
I sighed. "I won't, I won't. I'm gonna go take a shower and go to bed, okay?" Before she could protest, I ran quickly towards the stairs, then up them. Him, like me? As if. I'm a chubby nerd with insecurity issues and a far more interesting family. 




A few weeks later, it was time for Eulalie's birthday. I don't know how it came up that fast, but we were all excited for it, because then we'd all be going to school together. 
When we got home, there was a bit of a stampede to get to the door between the triplets and me - Drazen had gotten the car that day, and hadn't bothered to give any of us rides because he wanted to get home and tell Mom that he'd gotten on the honor roll.. and I didn't. Yet. I was going to, I did have an A, but it was hard to get on the honor roll when your mind is focused a gorgeous male that sits in front of you in most of your class. Stupid Marcelo and his stupid gorgeousness. Stupid. Anyway..






We all crowded into the kitchen, around Eulalie and the ice cream cake we'd bought her. It was a good thing we all still could eat regular food. We all cheered her on, though I couldn't help noticing our broken dish washer, and thought about how much nicer of a mini-party it would have been for her if that thing wasn't humming about being broken. 
She blew out her candles, and then spun into teenager-hood. I.. I hate to say it, but I was immediately jealous. I loved my sister, but in my opinion, she got the looks. Her hair was wavy, not curly, and black. She had all of Mama Elvy's best facial features, and Mom Lyr's blue-green eyes. She was skinny as a rail, like Mama Elvy, but was more 'endowed' like Mom Lyr and me. And she had a more interesting personality..
I hated myself for my jealousy, but I couldn't help it. With a perfect, interesting sister like Eulalie, who wouldn't be?

(A/N: This was a fun chapter to write, mostly because I used writing it as an excuse to postpone studying for my COMPASS test. Heh. Okay, not really, I enjoyed it because it came amazingly easily to me today. And getting to mention the fact that her love interest is a Swan (though with a different surname), that was fun. It was funny, right around the time she decided she wanted to ask Marcelo's sign, Drazen decided he wanted to be friends with Marcelo. It was like they suddenly realized he existed at the same time. I have other stuff to say about this, but I can't think of most of it, so I'll just say that when she grew up to a teenager, I gave Eulalie the trait flirty. And so far, she's my only flirty wishacy Sim to actually show her flirtiness (unlike dear Lyric).)

2 comments:

Whisperingtruth said...

Great chapter! I just love you heirs. They all are so unique and you do a great job writing their personalities. I can't wait to see what happens between Dahlia and Marcelo. The swan men are mighty handsome. Although I love your Quinn so much. lol BTW is he up for download cause I think he needs to go in my game before I play next time. ;)

Cyazurai said...

Thank you! >w< I always hope that my heirs are coming across different from the previous ones, I'm glad that they do. And yes, aren't they? I love the Swan men. XD Even when they are random born-in-my-game-by-story-progression-instead-of-in-Julie's-game ones.
Yes, indeed, Quin is up for download! Hehehe. ;D

Post a Comment