Monday, January 10, 2011

Gen 1 - Chapter Fifteen: Guāng​lín​!


Welcome to China! A place I had yet to visit. It was a beautiful country, and I just knew we were all going to love it here. Unfortunately, though, it seemed that we all had different plans for what to do while we were there, so who knew how long we'd get to spend time together? I, myself, had to go take a picture of the Dragon Cave for someone. Why was it, whenever I thought of going somewhere someone requested I do something for them there? Well, at least it gave me a good excuse to go.





First things we all did when we got off the plane are as follows:
Jett went straight inside, since we were going to be here for six days, and he knew he'd have plenty of time to explore later, and found a good book.
Naomi immediately, wanting to get a level 3 visa everywhere, started working on that by finding an adventure.
I trotted off to the Dragon Cave, so I could relax for the rest of the trip. I'm too old to want to explore anymore.
Lyric headed off to the Forbidden City, though she kept getting cut off, first by Dee (who had brought our Sloppy Jalopy for some reason?), heading off to the Temple of Heaven, and then second by Rhett, who was heading to the Scholar's Garden. Poor Lyric. Good thing she's such a sweetheart.



Lyric did eventually get to the Forbidden City, but when she got there, she didn't do much, before heading to the market. She likes history, but she's a lot like myself when I was younger. Not enough into it to immerse herself in it for too long before getting bored.
Already at the market, was Naomi, buying herself some extra supplies for her adventure. It was a good thing that we were pretty close friends with the Gai family, because they taught us enough Chinese to communicate with those that knew no English at all. Like the girl that ran the general store.


Strangely, our family agent - who was now our old agent's apprentice, since our old agent passed away shortly after he told me to dance at the grind.. I'll kind of miss him - had called Dee, despite the long distance, and told her to work out for four hours. She agreed, though was a little weirded out that he would call her while she was in China.





Naomi, meanwhile, had been told that she was supposed to explore underneath the Forbidden City. So, she did. I don't know any details, naturally, I wasn't there, but she told me about it. How there was an overly suspicious patch on the floor upstairs for her to stand on, and everything that happened below. I would just hand it over to her to explain, but she said not to bother, because she wanted her adventures to be more of a mystery this time. To be honest, that girl hasn't ever quite made sense to me, but I love her to death anyway.





While Naomi was having her adventure, the rest of us were all having much less exciting 'adventures'. As soon as I got back from my excursion to the Dragon Cave, I plopped myself down on a couch with a good book. I was completely tuckered out, and planned do not do anything exciting for the rest of the day.
It was hard to concentrate on my book for long, however, because just a little ways from me, Dee and Jett had gotten into an argument.
"You know I'll never consider you my Dad, right?" Dee snapped at him, in the middle of their conversation. My eyes darted up from my book, and I frowned. Deirdre didn't like her new stepfather?
Jett just kind of stared at her, fidgeting with his hands a little, before frowning a little. "I don't expect you to. I'm not your Dad I never will be, and.. you're a young adult, I don't need to be your Dad.." I could tell that despite his words, it hurt him. I almost stood up to talk to Dee, tell her to control her temper and not talk to her step-father that way.
"Good, I'm glad you know it!" Dee huffed, then looked away for a moment, seeming to start feeling bad about her outburst. I wish I had known that she felt that way, before I married Jett.. why hadn't she told me that she didn't like him? "It's not that I don't like you.." Oh. Okay, she just didn't like that I'd gotten remarried, then? "I just.. I feel like you're trying to replace Daddy and I'm sorry, but you won't."
After a little bit, they dispersed and went to do their own things, and I almost wanted to go home. If we were going to have family problems, it needed to happen at home, not on a vacation that was supposed to be fun. I was really glad that we'd left Feliks with a close friend at home, and Rhett and Lyric were off somewhere else doing their own things. I didn't want them to see that.




I knew what I needed to do, and though it may have ruined my plans for staying at our temporary home and relaxing, it was better than Dee and Jett's relationship being forever tarnished because of out outburst of Dee's temper. I closed my book and stood up. "Us three should go to the academy. I've wanted to go since we got here. Dee, you mentioned something about our agent asking you to exercise for four hours, right? And Jett.. well, I don't wanna leave you here all by your lonesome. C'mon!" And with that, we left. I suggested that they work out together downstairs, and when they did, I went upstairs to work on learning martial arts. That was one of those things I wanted to do when I was a kid, but never got a chance. So now that I was in my eighties, why not try it now?
Naomi was still having her adventure, but I had no idea what was going on. Just that she had a lot of fun with it.



That night, when we got home Lyric was already back and getting in bed. I quickly hurried to her and gave her a goodnight hug, and then pulled back. "Is your brother back?"
"No, Mom, I think he was stargazing at the Scholar's Garden last time I saw. He's okay, though."
I sighed. "Alright. Goodnight, Lyr, sleep well."
"G'night, Mom."
I grabbed my phone, and dialed Rhett's cell phone number, then waited. "Hi Mom.."
"It's time to come home and go to bed, Rhett. You can stargaze tomorrow."
"But Mom, I'll have to wait until dark again tomorrow!"
"Well, maybe I'll go with you then, but it's very late and it's time for bed now."
I heard a sigh. "Okay, see you soon Mommy."




The next morning, Naomi got a call from our agent first thing, asking her to work out for four hours now. I should have told them that they get a lot of calls from our agent once they become young adults..
She was gone by the time we woke up, at the academy, working out, getting herself some more muscle. Flab? She didn't seem to have any that she needed to work off. Of course, in my eyes none of my children needed to "improve" themselves, I thought they were perfect just the way they were.
When Dee woke up, however, she got a call from a local, asking her to explore the Dragon Cave. She wasn't much of an adventurer, not like her sister, but she accepted none the less, not wanting to disappoint the person. At least, that's what she told me.


Lyric, meanwhile, had decided to visit the Temple of Heaven, and left without telling anyone. I had no idea where she was, but she was a very responsible girl so I trusted that wherever she was, she was fine.


After I had woke up, like my older girls I also got a phone call. A local woman wanted me to find her some metal. I agreed to it, 'cause who knew how many more adventures I was going to get to go on?



With Jett and Dee, it seemed that their tension had eased after they worked out together. They'd decided to read together this time. Jett was reading a book filled with a bunch of short stories, and Dee would ask which one he was on occasionally, so he'd show her. After a while, they just gave up on reading, and put their books away, deciding to chat instead, become better friends, so maybe Dee could control her hot-headed ways a little more when it came to him.



When Naomi got back from the academy, the first thing she did was find an adventure. She has so much energy! Was I that energetic at one point? I don't think so. This time, she was supposed to go around finding lapis lazuli - but that was all she told me about it.



After my adventure, I worked on my martial arts for a while, at the academy, until I finally earned my white belt. Talk about a productive day! Maybe my wish power was still in full swing, I just hadn't noticed it in ages. Hm.. maybe I should wish for Naomi or Dee to get married.
Of course I don't want grandchildren as soon as possible, nooo.. why would you think that? Hahaha.


Poor Rhett, stayed in for most of the day, bored out of his mind and then he broke the toilet. I felt bad for my little boy when I heard, but unfortunately I wasn't home to comfort him or help keep him entertained.





Anyone else that saw Lyric probably thought of her as an angsty, anti-social, hate-the-world sort of teenager. She was the exact opposite, though. She was the only one of us that really took the 'family' part of 'family vacation' seriously, and wanted to be sure and spend time with each and every one of us for at least a short amount of time, even if the paparazzi constantly wanted to try and get in on the action. She was the friendliest person I knew, and family meant a great deal to her.



The third day of our vacation, after breakfast, Rhett came up to me and asked me if I wanted to play catch with him. I agreed, because, of course I wanted to play catch with my little boy who'd been bored all day the day before! While we played catch, Dee decided that it was time for her to explore the Dragon Cave, since she hadn't the day before.





Dee told me that for the most part she enjoyed adventuring. She felt a little like Indiana Jones, she said, with the pulling of statues, finding of ancient coins, digging around in hidden holes in the wall, getting horrified by bunches of disgusting bugs on her arm, finding treasure.. oh, and seeing strange visions. That she didn't tell me much about, because she saw the concern flash across my face. Visions? She laughed it off and told me that that's what the guy that asked her to do the adventure wanted to hear so she made it up. Did she really?



Naomi had tried to stay all of our third day adventure-less, but towards the end of the day she couldn't stand it anymore and continued her adventure from the day before, going to deliver the uncut lapis lazuli to the man who'd requested it. He then asked her if she could find him some red assassin bugs. Some of the most rare insects out there.. of course. We probably wouldn't be seeing much of her for the rest of the trip. Though, instead of getting started right away, she went home and slept. In the morning, she immediately got dressed and got breakfast. Dee joined her shortly after.
"So, you going to find those bugs today?"
"Yep! I hope I can find an extra, one, too, 'cause they're my favorite color. It'd be a really cool souvenir!"
"It doesn't freak you out that it's a bug and it has assassin in it's name?"
".. nah, not really! Well I'm done, see you later sis! Have fun and stop giving our step-daddy a hard time!"
"I did stop! You have fun too, and more importantly be careful."
"I will, I will, jeesh. You know I am, it's not like I'm a daredevil or something."
"I know, but still.."
By the way, if you're wondering why I haven't told you much about what I've been doing this vacation, it's because it's hard to be interesting when you get tired and achy just by walking up and down stairs.



My life may not have been the most interesting, but it was definitely wonderful and rewarding in it's own way.


It didn't take Naomi long to find the assassin bugs, but catching them was a whole other story. Evidently, they were slippery and creepy-crawly. I could have told her that, all bugs are creepy and crawly. So, it took her the rest of the day to find both of the bugs she was supposed to.


The way Lyr and Rhett got along always amazed me. They got along as well as Naomi and Dee, possibly even better. They spent a lot of their time together, when they weren't doing anything else. It made me happy to see it.









Jett had wanted to go adventuring from the first day we got there, but had wanted to do it with me. I really didn't want to go exploring, I'd done that before and it wasn't my cup of tea. He'd tried since day one, but since it was nearly our last day there, he finally decided to give in, though he tried one more time to get me to go. "Are you sure you don't wanna go with me, Sean? That way you can make sure I don't die!"
"I'm sure." I told him, and gave him a quick peck on the lips. "You won't die. I don't want you to."
He just gave me a weird look, and then smiled and hugged me, then was off to explore the 'not at all conspicuous tile with footprints' in the marketplace. I knew that my wish granting ability wouldn't work that well.. if he was going to die, no amount of me wishing could keep him from it. But it made me feel better to think it would.
Evidently, that tomb had a key that you needed to get into it. Jett learned that the hard way, because he was able to get a few things from it, and then found a door with a keystone hole. And a map on the floor. He looked it over, and sighed as he realized that someone needed to give him the keystone before could truly explore that one. So he was then off to the Dragon cave, where he had a lot more of an adventurous time. Nearly injured himself breaking up a pile of rocks, which I scolded him for when he told me.


Jett's fifth day of our vacation may have been eventful, but the rest of us mostly sat around at home, read, and chatted. Mostly, we just spent time together.



The beginning of the sixth day, Lyric and I decided to go on a cleaning spree. Since our family were the ones who'd broken pretty much everything (toilet, kitchen sink, dishwasher, shower..), we figured that we should clean up the day we left. Lyric did most of the cleaning, strangely, she did it for most of the day. Naomi and Dee chipped in occasionally, too. Jett went out to do some errands for someone who'd called him in the middle of the night, and Rhett went to his favorite place in China - the Scholar's Garden.

Add Image



At the Scholar's Garden, Rhett made his first friend his own age. A little girl named Liu Lu. At first they were both just reading, then they decided to finally say hi. Evidently, her father was a huge fan of the Parodi family, and he had a bit of a squee moment when he saw Rhett talking to his daughter. After they talked for a little bit, Rhett reached forward and touched 'Lulu' - as he decided to call her, since 'Liu' was too hard for him; I thought it was such a cute pet name! - on the shoulder, deciding to play tag. Awwww, I'm so proud of my boy, making his first friend. It was really too bad we were leaving in only a few hours.





The rest of us didn't have nearly as exciting a rest of the sixth day as Rhett did. Lyric wanted to visit the market one last time before midnight (when our plane was scheduled to take off, for some weird reason) and got herself a cheesesteak, Naomi practiced her chess, Dee and Jett read together - they had really bonded ever since their argument, they were nearly inseparable since then - and I took a quick nap because I hated sleeping on airplanes. As I slept, I dreamed of children. I wanted one more to complete my little family. As soon as we got home, I was going to call the adoption agency.

(A/N: Whoooo, managed to get a chapter out! And it's freaking long! Yeah, that's not even skimming the surface of all the pictures I took, but I really went picture crazy on their trip [not to mention it was way longer than I wanted it to be because of one of Naomi's rewards]. Next chapter is the last chapter of Gen 1. D= There's one more addition to the family, some birthdays, Dee and Naomi move out, and musical things. I hope to get it out tomorrow! Oh, and the chapter title means 'Welcome!' or 'You honor us with your presence!' or 'it is an honor to have you!' in Chinese. At least that's what a website I have says. XD)

2 comments:

RisikaFox said...

You know, I always did like Jett, even before him and Sean hooked up. xD It's nice to see his stepchildren getting along with him.

buckeygirl80 said...

Aw, god for Jett, to have Dee hurt his feelings like that but to not take it too personally. He's a good stepdad. All the kids are so pretty, it's fun seeing them pursue their different interests and such.

Post a Comment