Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gen 1 - Chapter Two: Stressful Times



The next day was my day off, and boy was I relieved, after having stayed up until about 4, since after a guy had stayed around talking to me until 3:30, I couldn't just.. let myself fall asleep. I had to stay awake thinking for a while. Eventually though, the exhaustion got me. But as I said, I still dreamed about romantic things, though I could never quite see the face of the man I'd married. Or.. really, any of his features, whether he was dark skinned like Apollo, or what. It was frustrating, I wanted to see who I'd married. It still frustrated me after I woke up, and as I ate at my soup - soup for breakfast.. yeah, not the funnest, but anything was sounding better than cereal after how long I'd been living on just cereal - I glared into it. It was childish, but I was groggy and irritated at my dream.
After breakfast, it was time for me to get ready to perform at the spa and bookstore. Got to take a shower, dry and style my hair, get dressed, put on make up and all of that before heading off to drum 'til I dropped.



I was amazed at how well I did at the spa, especially since I played for them all day. It was, over all, a great experience, and I made a few acquaintances. But most importantly, I made $300, which I definitely needed. Even just to make the next payment on my apartment, let alone buy food to eat. I thought that the making money part was going to be easier, having this whole.. wish thing, but no. No, it wasn't really. If I wished to be a millionaire, I would be doing it the old fashioned way. I learned quickly that though this power was magical in some ways, it didn't conjure something out of nothing. It would work me to the bone if I wanted to be a millionaire, so I quickly decided that money wasn't that important.
When we were all done, and I left Wilki's, I decided I should probably get to working on my guitar skills. I was getting pretty darn good with the drums, after weeks of practice, but what I needed for work was at least a little guitar knowledge. They kept talking about things that I had no idea about, and so I headed off towards the theater, to take one of their popular guitar lessons - they were the best around, and after the lesson ended I knew why.
It was getting late, nearing eleven at night, but I didn't want to go home yet, especially since there was this guy I'd seen around playing guitar out front, and a huge crowd had gathered. One of the people in the crowd I recognized as Kirby Wise, the girl who hadn't even acknowledged me when I had my welcoming crew. I was going to just listen to the music, but suddenly I wanted to make a new friend, and before I knew it, I walked over to the other girl and struck up a conversation.
It was actually better than I thought it would be, she apologized for being so rude the other day, and I told her that it was absolutely fine. I knew she meant no harm by it, she was just excited about the party - I could tell she was a rather excitable person. After we got the apology out of the way, we chatted for hours, much like Apollo and I had the night before. When I mentioned that I'd done this with Apollo the night before, Kirby made a gagging motion.
"Ugh, Apollo Bloom?"
"What? You don't like him?" It took me by surprise, I quite liked him myself..
"He's not horrible, but I just.. he's one of my roommates, and living with him I know a lot of his faults. When he's home, he never leaves the TV, and when we try to do anything he doesn't like, he just.. loses his temper, like GRAAAAH! Angerz! And he's a little full of himself, 'cause he thinks he's a model. He actually works at a restaurant, and I dunno, he may be a model but I've never seen any proof of that. And he's a complete chicken, he fainted when a burglar broke in the other day and just let the burglar get away! I just.. I don't really like him, even though he is always trying to make friends with us. We're debating kicking him out."
I was shocked. That was not at all the guy I'd gotten from our chat. I mean, we did talk about the TV shows we liked, and he told me that he had a bit of a temper, and we both admitted we weren't good with scary things, but Kirby made them seem like major flaws. Guess I would just let myself figure him out, though, not just take her word for it.


After quite a while, I finally looked at my cell to find out what time it was - I never have been much of a watch wearer, for whatever reason - and gasped in surprise. "Oh wow, when did it get to be 2? I should get home, work tomorrow." I said, and we wished each other a goodbye, before I hurried home, back into my work-rut again. When I was working, my life seemed to always be the same, not that I minded. That way I would get used to it, and I was more comfortable when I was used to something. As soon as I got home, I crawled into bed and fell right to sleep, into beautiful dreams of being a famous one-woman band with a beautiful family. My dreams had been so wonderful since I got this wish-granting thing, and they never seemed that terribly weird. I just hoped they foretold of the future!






My rut was back, and in full swing! It became quite a routine of sleep, eat, play on an instrument, go to work, eat, sleep, eat, do something while I wait for work, go to work, eat, sleep.. etc, etc, etc. It went on for.. I don't even know how long, I didn't keep track. Nothing was going on in my life, because I had no real want for anything.. big and exciting in my life yet. I would chat with Apollo or Kirby on the phone sometimes, or Buster - though I could just talk to him at work - but mostly, my life was pretty dull. I liked it, though, it was better than if it was too exciting, right?


And then I got a promotion, after several days in my little rut, and I had one of my excited-spazz moments outside the theater. Rohan Giroux, a local one-star celebrity, and his family were standing outside when I had my spazz attack so I was kind of embarrassed afterward, so quickly headed home. Buster decided to throw me a congratulations party, for one thing, and it started in only a little while, so I had to get ready.



I prettied myself up, only as much as usual though, and headed off to Buster's apartment building. I was starving, but knew if it was a party there would be food. When I got there, I realized quickly that something was odd when someone else answered when I asked to be buzzed in. When I got upstairs, this girl was waiting outside for me.
"Are you Sean?" she asked me, and I approached her, nodding.
"Yeah.. Sean Parodi. And you are?"
"I'm Buster's neighbor. He told me to tell you that he had to cancel the party, because there was a family emergency - his Mom's probably not going to make it through the night. He would have told you himself, but he needed to leave as soon as possible to get to Sunset Valley in time."
Oh no. Poor Buster.. being part McCaley - Mom's maiden name - I couldn't help but start to tear up slightly. "Oh, poor Buster.. I absolutely understand. That's so much more important than a silly party. Tell him to call me later if he needs someone to talk to, okay?"
She smiled, and nodded. "I will. See you later." With that, we went our separate ways.


All night I tossed and turned, unable to sleep as well as I wanted, knowing that one of my best friends was having such a hard time. When morning came, I groggily got out of bed, still wondering how everything was going for Buster, and proceeded to get breakfast. After my breakfast - bread and jam, I was deciding to mix it up - I went over to my piano, and started to play The Entertainer. It was the last song I memorized before I quit my lessons, and amazingly, I still had it there. Good thing, too, I needed something cheery to distract me from my worry. In the middle of the song, my cell rang, and I immediately leaped up from the stool - nearly getting tangled up in it - as I scrambled for my purse. "Oh please be good news!" I cried as I pulled the phone out of it's pocket, answering with a, "Hello?"
"Hey, Sean.. sorry about last night."
Buster! It was him. My goodness, he didn't sound good. I frowned, and shook my head even though he couldn't see it. "No, don't apologize. I'm sorry about your Mom. How is she..?"
"She's.. doing better, in a way. She's not suffering anymore at least."
Ah.. the doctors were right. I looked at the floor and sighed sadly. "I'm so sorry, Buster."
"Thank you, Sean. But it's okay, she's been in pain so long now I'm actually kind of.. glad, in a way. Sad, of course, but.."
"I understand," I told him, smiling sadly. "My grandma and uncle, last year. I felt the same way. They'd been battling cancer so long it just.. they were ready."
"Thanks, Sean. Talking to you really helps."
It did? I didn't feel like I was saying anything of any real significance, but if he said so..
"I'm glad. I'm sorry, Buster, but I gotta get going. Call anytime you need to talk, okay?"
"Alright. I won't be at work today, naturally, but I will be tomorrow. See you tomorrow."
"Yeah. See you then."
With that, I hung up, and got ready for work, not really feeling in the mood to work, but knowing that I needed to.



After work, I didn't want to get lost in my worry about Buster, so I called up Apollo - who I hadn't seen since that night he visited me - and we headed out to the Brightmore. He'd also come directly from work, but he hadn't found time to change clothes first.



I went inside to buy us some drinks, but after I'd already paid for them, Apollo hurried inside and told me that he had to go. He wouldn't tell me why, but I had a feeling it was because one of our favorite shows was about to come on and he didn't have anything to record it with. Sigh. I was learning fast that Kirby'd been right about his couch potato-ish ways, and that didn't really bother me, but it was a little irritating that he didn't even drink the drink I'd bought for him. So I had to down them both. I enjoyed them, but unfortunately, alcohol always has made me seriously crash, and I was already tired from my rather stressful night and day, so I headed home without even dancing.


When I crawled into bed, I stared up at the ceiling for a few minutes, wondering if this was what I got for wishing that my life would get more interesting. Would just random, spur of the moment bored wants sometimes backfire like this? I hoped they wouldn't always. But it made sense. You know that old saying, 'be careful what you wish for'. And now that I could get anything I wished.. great. This wish-granting thing was going to be a burden at times, wasn't it?

1 comments:

buckeygirl80 said...

Great chapter! Can't wait for the next one! ;)

Post a Comment