Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Gen 2 - Chapter 5: Love and Loss




Rhett was accused of getting arrested, and how anyone could believe that, was beyond me. My brother wasn't capable of crime, he was a goody-two-shoes. And just to prove it, the day he was accused he went in and sued for slander. And won. To celebrate, he called up Estiu - who he still needed to befriend - and asked her out to dinner. Lunch? It was between lunch and dinner, so we can call it dunch or linner. But it happened, and she agreed to meet him and they had a nice time. Oh, and yes, that does mean that she eventually left. When she left, she invited Katina to live with her for a little while, and so our yard had become oddly lonely.


I still wanted to visit five hot spots - well, three now - and so I decided to look at the newspaper and found out which were hot spots the same day that Rhett had taken Estiu out to linner/dunch. The hot spots that night were The Grind, Plasma 501, and Waylon's Haunt. Perfect - maybe, somehow, I'd be able to visit all three in a row. I somehow really didn't think so, it took annoyingly long to get anywhere in this city. It wasn't nearly as bad as when we lived where we did before, though.
I sat there thinking for a moment about which I'd try to visit first. The Grind sounded like the most fun, so I decided I'd go there first. That's the one I'd want to stay at the longest, so if I couldn't get to the others that night, it would certainly work best.
 Except, just then, my entire plan was ruined when my cell phone alarm went off. It was time to get ready for work. Not to go to work yet, I had a separate alarm for that. But it took me ages to get ready, so I needed to start early. 








Evidently, though, Rhett seemed to take my idea about The Grind, because later he told me that he took Estiu there after linner/dunch. They danced, chatted, drank, met Naomi there, and a bunch of other stuff - I'm sure - that he didn't tell me about. My brother has a much more exciting life than I do, but if I have to be a closet drunk to have an exciting life, I'd rather not. I don't like not being in control of my mental faculties.. being dizzy or tired is bad enough!


After several weeks, the inevitable finally happened. I was fired. It stung more than I thought it would, especially since now the entire world that knew of Lyric Parodi, knew that it had happened. So, not really feeling like doing anything else, I bought a new computer with my last paycheck and Rhett's promotion bonus, and played computer games all day the day after I was fired, not even bothering to get dressed.
I admit, it was a little pathetic, but I didn't wanna do anything else until I didn't get a 'oh, it's you, the girl who can't even keep a part time job' every time I went outside.






I don't think I was supposed to stay moping very long, because suddenly someone wanted me to buzz her in. When she came in, she looked around, then looked at me. "Where's Rhett?"
I blinked, then sighed a bit. "Probably off getting drunk like usual."
The woman looked taken aback, and she frowned. "He gets drunk? He doesn't seem like that type to me.."
"Yeah, no one thinks he is, but that seems like all he ever does is go out to drink. So, should I tell him that you were here, or..?"
"Oh, no," she said, and smiled at me, shrugging. "That's fine. I was mainly just looking for company. It gets lonely, living alone sometimes. I'm Lisa King, by the way. I work with your brother."
Of course she knew I was his sister, that was a given. I nodded, and then grinned at her. "Well, I've been wanting to make more friends lately, so if you want you can stay and keep me company. As you probably know, I got fired yesterday and I'm trying to avoid the public eye right now, but since Rhett is never home I'm pretty lonely.."
"Oh, that would be great!" And with that, we stood around chatting for hours, while Rhett was who-knows-where, doing who-knows-what.




The next day wasn't the best.. in fact, it was pretty awful, but at least it made me realize what I wanted my new career to be.
When I went online that morning and checked my email, I had one from Feliks, telling me that Dad had passed away that night and that they didn't think they could handle having his remains there so he was at the graveyard. When I told Rhett, he just stayed silent and went to fix us some breakfast, though I could tell it was effecting him as much as it was me. Then, I proceeded to look at the rest of my emails, and one of them said that the friend who I'd made the day before, Lisa King, had passed away overnight, too, and left me with some money. I was shocked, and even though I could barely see the computer screen through my tears, I continued looking at my emails, and found one from Dee, which  was an update on her and Naomi's lives. Turns out Dee'd started dating the town Casanova, Ayuru. Great, Dee was a conquest. Soon I'd be hearing about how they broke up and her heart was broken.
After I got off the computer, I told Rhett I'd be right back, and took a taxi - I couldn't trust myself driving - to the graveyard to get Dad's remains. I wanted my biological Dad's and Mom's remains, too, but the people that lived in those apartments refused to let us have them. So I'd settle for Dad's. 
RIP, Jett Parodi, the best Daddy I've ever known.




The deaths of people I was close to made me realize how downright silly I was being for moping about losing my job. There were worse things out there than getting fired and publicly disgraced; now I knew what kind of job I wanted to get now, too. I hopped onto the computer - again, figuratively speaking - and looked for open jobs at the local hospital. Organ donor. It didn't sound pleasant, in any way shape or form, but I'd take it. Everyone had to start at the bottom, though I really hoped it wasn't a literal organ donor. I don't have multiples, I have as many as normal people!
After I submitted my application for the job - and got accepted just that quick, guess they don't get too many takers for that position - I decided to make dinner. A hot meal. Goopy carbonara sounded good, especially since it had been the meal that Dad had fixed for us all the most, despite his favorite meal being sushi.



With the money that Lisa had left me - I don't know why she did, she had to have had family somewhere that wasn't me.. we'd just met hours before she died - we bought a laptop. It was much nicer than our old computers, and didn't seem to crash every time I did anything on it. So I decided to start a humor book, to hopefully bring my spirits back up slightly. I called it 'Immortal Pumpkins'.
 After quite a while of writing on it, though, I got stressed and decided to play some online chess, to work on getting some more logical thinking.



My first day of work was crazy. I'd never been so busy during the day, even when I was going to school, and so when I got home the first thing I did was go to bed. Rhett, though, had been actually coming home more often and doing less drinking since we got the news about Dad, and so he would often work out or, in the case of my first day on the job, he finally decided to start using the martial arts equipment. Thankfully I was dead tired, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep through that. Not that I'm a light sleeper, but I'm not a heavy sleeper either.






A while later, our agent told me to befriend Richie Striker, a four star celeb. I decided to try, but didn't around to it for several days. Then, I was heading to pick up some groceries and saw him just leave. I stopped in my tracks at first, thinking about how.. intriguing this man was. He was obviously a vampire, his eyes glowed, he glowed slightly, he had the bite, and he had fangs, and that just made me want to ask his sign. First, though, before I could even befriend him, I had to impress him. It wasn't too terribly difficult to do, though, I just had to tell him about which books I'd written, and he told me that he was a huge fan of 'Homeless is not Hopeless'. Once he'd finally decided that I was worth his time, I first asked him what his sign was. Pisces! We were compatible. 
After that, we chatted for quite a while, but then we decided to each go home because it was getting towards the wee hours of the morning. We weren't friends yet, but we were on our way there.







 

  Eventually, life for Rhett went back to normal. In other words, yeah; he started drinking again. He'd hit several places after work, before he went home. It was ridiculous, but I didn't say anything. 
And it seemed that our house had become the place for people we don't really know to stop by. One day, when I had called Richie and invited him over, a woman named Phoebe Milas stopped by and we struck up a conversation. In the middle of our conversation, suddenly she started sobbing, and I stared, before asking what happened. Turns out, one of her sisters had died. I comforted her as well as I could, and she thanked me, then said she had to get going. I didn't mind, 'cause I heard Richie knocking. He couldn't stay long, but we stood around talking for a bit. We still weren't really friends when he left, so we'd have to work at it some more.


When I wasn't at work, I was writing on Immortal Pumpkins. I wanted to write another best seller like Homeless is not Hopeless, and I wasn't sure this one would be it, but I figured that the more practice I got the better my books would get. Right?



Richie was not helping me make friends with him! One night, I was gonna invite him out to a hot spot, and so I called him up. "Hey, Richie! It's me, Lyric Parodi. I was wondering if-"
"Would you stop stalking me?! I have a life outside of you, and just because I said you're okay doesn't mean you need to hound me constantly! Please leave me alone for a few days, and I will consider any offer you may have." Click.
I was taken aback, and just stood there with the phone to my ear for a few moments, before pressing end and slipping it in my pocket again. "Coulda just said no.." I mumbled, before walking over to my only real friend - it felt like that sometimes, at least - the computer, to write on my book.
(A/N: Lyric and Rhett drove me crazy, seriously. They never did anything autonomously, and all they ever wanted was: in Rhett's case, literally all he ever wanted was to go to 2 bars, 4 bars, etc to get drinks, to go to China - which I wasn't gonna do unless Lyric wanted it too - and to get a promotion. In Lyric's case, all she wanted was to make friends and write. This update took place over about a sim week, that's how uneventful it was. But at least, this is where I got my game fixed.) 

3 comments:

Julie said...

wow that Richie was so rude!!! Everyone has slow times with their sims - it will get better :) Glad you fixed your glitch!!

buckeygirl80 said...

Ah, finally Katina has a home! Man, Lyric and Mikie would have gotten along well, he was the same way! Write books, and make friends, or see friends. Haha. Well, hopefully she'll wanna turn one of those friends into something more! :)

CourtneyHelen said...

I figured out where I was up to! Now I just have to read the rest. I really like Lyric :)

Post a Comment