Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Gen 1 - Chapter Twelve: Two Birthdays and Two Moves


I'd say that my agent has no sense of knowing when or when not to ask me to do stuff that would make me more famous, but it had actually been several months since Buster died so I guess I should be over it enough to do what my agent asked me to. I really think he's hinting that I'm too fat, despite as many times as he told me I wasn't, 'cause he told me to go work out for four hours again.
"I guess I will today. It may be a good way to help me keep distracted from thinking of Buster.." I muttered earlier in the day, and then when the girls went off to work, I went off to the gym. Why did they have to get part-time jobs? Didn't they know I needed them around to babysit? On a whim, after they got their jobs, I wanted to quit mine so did. Buster wasn't there anymore, and every time I went to work, I would be reminded of him. And Lola, she'd passed on only a few days before Buster. It just sounded like a lot of unneeded pain. But I needed some sort of income, and had wanted to be a photographer when I was a teenager, so on yet another whim (proving that I still have my wish thing going strong), I got a job as a professional photographer so I could have as much time with my Lyric and Rhett as I wanted.
I'd done all of that in the middle of the gym, just before hopping onto a treadmill and setting to work out for four hours. It was a good distraction. Well, until I heard a ear-shattering cry from the other side of the gym: "ROMEO!"



I leaped off the treadmill, knowing that kind of a cry. And I knew that Romeo Rake was here, because he'd ridden the elevator up with me. When I got to the room, there was already a large group of people gathered around, watching. I hadn't ever really met Romeo, I just knew him because he was famous, so I wasn't effected by his death the way that some others were.. the first thing that came to mind was Buster, and I clenched at my chest. I thought going to the gym was going to distract me from my heartbreak? I couldn't watch this. I couldn't.. at least there was one way this didn't remind me of Buster. Unlike my husband, Romeo begged the Grim Reaper to let him stay a little longer, and didn't accept it gracefully. The GR is heartless, so refused his request, and sent him into a tin box exactly like Busters. I couldn't watch anymore. I let out a sob, and went back to work out while everyone else cried over him.


That Grim Reaper is awful. He put the tin box right in my line of sight. Of course, I could have moved, and by the difficulty of the machine I had chosen, I seriously debated doing so, but this one would definitely help me get the 'celebrity body' that my agent wanted me to have. Even if my face was stuck in one of the funny faces I made as I tried to rip my arms off.



Back at home, the girls had gotten home, and.. were having troubles. "Dee, can you please keep them quiet? You're more awake than I am.." Naomi whined as she climbed back out of bed.
Dee groaned and made a face, attempting to comfort Lyric, who missed her Mommy. "I'm trying Nay, okay? They just.. they won't stop crying! How on earth did Mom ever manage with us before she got married to Dad?! I have a new respect for her."
"Oh, I know what you mean.." Naomi replied as she pulled a piece of cake from the fridge, and headed towards the table. Then sounded a loud 'thunk, clatter!' behind Dee, and she turned quickly, to see Naomi passed out on the ground.
"Nay!" Why did it surprise her at all? We all passed out all over our dinky apartment.



When I finally got home, they were both on the ground, fast asleep. Thankfully, the babies were in their cribs. I surveyed the area, and then sighed, heading over to take care of Rhett, who'd just started crying. I knew I'd grown to hate this awful apartment. It was always broken, dirty, and there was only one room for us all to sleep in. We needed out.


Behind me, Dee had been woken up by Rhett's cries, and she screamed in frustration. I sighed deeply - now I knew how my parents had felt every time I yelled at something.. "I HATE this stupid apartment, Mom! I want my own room! Or at least one to share with Naomi, so we can actually get some REAL SLEEP!"
"I know, Deirdre, I know. We are going to move today, alright? Pack your things."
".. really? We're moving?!"
"Didn't I just say that we were? Go, pack. Quick. I want out of here as quickly as possible."
"Thank you thank you thank you!"
"Yes, yes, now pack!"


I called, and made arrangements for the second biggest apartment in town. We could only afford it if we sold most of our appliances and all of the free gifts I'd received since becoming famous (I nearly cried at having to sell the hot tub I never got to use..), but the point was that we could afford it.


I was going to go insane. The girls had to go to school, so I had to get the little ones over to our new apartment way across town by myself. I know when Lyric started crying, as we got upstairs, I went cross-eyed. "Lyric.." I moaned slightly, but knew she was hungry. "Ma!" she replied, looking at me seriously. I almost laughed, but if I laughed I was afraid I may cry.
"Buster, why'd you have to leave me alone to raise four children.." I sighed, and went inside the apartment, putting Lyric in her crib since I'd already put Rhett in his.


My birthday completely caught me by surprise, and at first I didn't know what was happening. "Wha-oh.." An elder? Already? Time flew by so quickly, next thing I knew I was gonna be a gramma. Unfortunately, while I had my birthday I couldn't feed my starving children.



At some point, Dee and Naomi had gotten home. Or had they been there in bed the entire time, instead of at school? I was so tired at the time, I didn't know what time of day, or what day, it was. But, while I was aging up, they took care of their little siblings. Such good girls, I made sure to thank them after I'd finished growing into an elder.


I thought I looked pretty nice, for an old lady. Almost no wrinkles at all. There were very few ways I could tell I was old, and the main one was my white hair.


For the first time in a long time, I got to go to bed and know that I could sleep for quite a while. The girls, who had gone home and gotten some sleep while I had to get Lyric and Rhett here all by myself, had taken the edge off their sleepiness, so decided to try out the new stools and counter.
"This is so much cooler than our old apartment." Naomi commented as she read on one of the books the previous tenants had left in the bookshelf.
Dee nodded her head, chewing up a bite of cake. "I totally agree. I mean, we get tall chairs and everything! I love tall chairs."
"I know! And we have our own room, how cool is that?"
"More cool than I can even express in words."


When I woke up, I wanted to throw Rhett a birthday party. It didn't seem like it had been long enough for him to grow into a toddler yet, but it was. Time was too fast.. far too fast. I called up several friends, and invited them all to come for my little boy's birthday party.



The party wasn't the biggest of parties, though all of my guests did attend they all left before it was actually time for Rhett to age up. Eventually, reluctantly, I grabbed my baby and took him to his cake. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Rhett, happy birthday to you!" We all sang - all two of us, me and Kearn Gai, who was just a child when I came to this town.. he'd sure grown up well, if I was still young enough I'd consider him for my second marriage, but I'll leave him for Dee and Naomi.
I then set Rhett on the floor to do his thing, and he aged up into a beautiful little toddler. My only child with my hair, and my fourth with my eyes. Like Naomi and Dee, he had his Daddy's nose, and actually.. everything about him reminded of his Daddy that he never got to know, even though if he had my hair and eyes. I nearly cried, but knew that I needed to get over crying over every little thing that reminded me of Buster.



What was it with all of my toddlers chewing on their dolls' heads? Originally I'd tried to teach them not to, but I was getting to the point of not bothering. It wasn't as if they were going to try and do that with real people, unless they became vampires. Even then, they wouldn't eat people's heads. Unless they decided to be head hunters, but even then, they didn't eat the heads. Cannibalistic head hunters? Maybe. But that just didn't seem logical, so I let Rhett play how he wished. Lyric, too, but she hadn't seemed as in the habit of chewing on heads as the others had been.
I decided to work on teaching her to talk again. She didn't seem too enthused, but wanted to try for Ma. This little girl took after me a little, with her people pleasing, but not nearly as bad as I am. Was? I'm not as bad as I was once..



I loved getting to spend more time than usual at home. Working on my own schedule, as a photographer made it easy to spend time with my babies. I hated to say it, but I think I was a little closer to them than I was to Deirdre and Naomi; giving birth to them with no one's help but my own, and then having more time to spend with them.. it just made me feel closer to them. I would have to spend more time with my teenage girls before they grew up.. thankfully I had a long time yet before that.



One morning, I was playing my bass before the girls had woken up for school, and Naomi came in, sitting down at the counter with a piece of cake. "Hey, Mom?"
I paused in my playing, so I could hear her. "Yes honey?"
"Can we move?"
What? I blinked. "What? But I thought you loved the new apartment."
"Yeah, but.. it takes us three hours to get to school, and we've gotten in trouble every day since we moved in here for being late."
I suppose that made sense. I frowned, and glanced out the window. I couldn't even see the school from here, and I barely could from our old apartment. We were completely across town from the school, and I wasn't even sure the bus came here. Looking over to her again, I smiled slightly. "Well then.. we can definitely think about moving. I'll check in to some places near to the school, okay?"
"Thank you, Mom! I really hate getting in trouble every day." she said, quickly finishing off her cake then hurrying to her and Dee's room to get dressed.


I slept on it. Took a rather long nap after they headed off to school - I thought that babies made me tired, toddlers plus old age was even worse! - and then woke up, deciding that I would check and see if they had any available places near the school. My children's grades were very important, especially if Dee wanted to be a doctor one day.
Turns out that just recently they'd built a house with two bathrooms, and four bedrooms practically across the road from the school. It was in our price range, so I bought it without even thinking about it. A room for myself, Rhett, Lyric, and one for Deirdre and Naomi. Perfect.




I got Rhett and Lyric ready to go, then took them to our new home. Naomi was right, it did certainly take a very long time to get to the house, and we didn't even have to stop to pick people up on the way there. It was definitely a smart idea to move, though the house was a little smaller than I had imagined..



So far, despite the house's smallness and plainness - the only room that was very decorated at all was the kitchen - we all seemed to love it. Especially Lyric and Rhett, though. They could play in our rather large living room, because it was incredibly spacious. Just about the only spacious room in the entire house, but that was fine. We could build on later. When I saw these two playing happily with their toys, I just had to snap pictures of them.



Before putting the toddlers to bed, I decided to work on potty-training Lyric. She wasn't too enthused about that, either, but I told her that she could grow up into a big girl all the sooner once she was potty-trained. "Okay, mama." she chirped, and I beamed. Such a sweetheart.
Then I put them both to bed, and she went to bed easily in her new crib, but Rhett didn't want me to leave, clinging to my hand as I tried to. "Uuh! Muh!" he whined cutely, and reached for me, even though we both knew he was barely even awake.
"Shhhh.. it's okay. Mommy's just gonna be in the other room, okay?" I whispered, leaning down and kissing his forehead. It seemed to satisfy him, and he laid down, falling asleep almost immediately.




The girls seemed to quite like the house, too. Especially the fact that it wasn't filthy yet, and somehow all of the other places we'd lived had been, even the one we'd barely lived in very long. They also liked that they could be in different rooms, and did their homework in separate rooms simply because they could. It didn't really make any sense to me, but it had been a very long time since I was a teenager, so that wasn't a big surprise to me. I remember when I had told myself I would always understand teenagers. I guess one really can't vow that to themselves.



Another thing the girls loved about the new house - the fact that they could go outside and play catch. They couldn't really do that at the apartments, since they didn't have a yard to play in. I just knew this was the house I wanted to live in for the rest of my life.



I was just meandering through the house, admiring the place since I still could hardly believe what a nice house we'd found, when I walked into the living room and witnessed Lyric teasing Rhett. "My ship!" she giggled at his back as he crawled away, and I frowned.
"Lyric, don't tease your brother like that. C'mon, let's learn how to walk, okay?" And so I started on her walking. This one she got used to the idea of much faster than talking or using the potty, and it seemed like it only took minutes before she was walking like a pro.



Another thing that the girls really liked about the new house: the computer. We'd never been able to afford a computer before, but this house had come with one. It was old, but it worked just as well as any other computer. We'd only been here for twenty-four hours at the most, but I'd already heard the girls fighting over the computer several times. Eventually, one of them would give up and go do something else. Dee often gave up to go cook something, she was really becoming interested in cooking. She would definitely make a good mother one day.

(A/N: Compared to the last chapter, this one is downright boring! A lot of the reason is because this was during the time that I really was getting really frustrated. I would play for maybe an hour, then switch to one of my other save games, because I was so frustrated with both apartments. I would have kept them in the second apartment, but like in the actual story, it took them three hours to get to school. But even that wouldn't have been so bad, but I couldn't see what I was doing half the time 'cause the camera seriously had a problem with that apartment. I barely got the pictures I did get! I built their new house, myself. It's not one of my better houses, but I didn't have much in the way of simoleons to work with. I'm really close to where I am in my game now, since Rhett is a child, Lyric's a teenager, and the twins are young adults in my game.)

1 comments:

buckeygirl80 said...

AW, I'm happy they are in a nicer house close to the school! I bet it's going to be nice when the younger ones are children, and everyone can take care of themselves better! WHew!!!

Post a Comment